Highlighted below are some of this week’s emerging trends and insights. As trends emerge and change, you will see that the topics covered each week may also vary. United States Channel Insights Social
- Facebook buys WhatsApp for whopping $16 billion
- Facebook announced the move in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission and in a statement, which detailed a cash payment of $4 billion and a transfer of more than 180 million shares of Facebook stock, a total that added up to a value of $12 billion based on the stock’s average closing price in the previous six trading sessions before Tuesday.
- In addition, Facebook promised to issue restricted stock units currently worth about $3 billion to WhatsApp employees, which could conceivably bump the price up to $19 billion or more.
- Yahoo’s ‘Gemini’ Pairs Native Ads And Mobile Search
- Yahoo has launched a self-service set of tools called Gemini for mobile search and native advertising. Per a rep for the Sunnyvale.
- Yahoo believes a one-stop shop for the two ad units could make a difference in attracting brand marketers.
- Until recently, its mobile search ads were available via the Bing Ads platform. Now they can be found with Yahoo’s 10-month-old native promos through Gemini.
- Yandex Reports Revenue Up 37% In Q4, Ad Network Revenue Nearly Doubles
- Russian search giant Yandex reported a strong Q4 2013 today, with overall revenue up 37 percent from Q4 2012 and continued growth in text-based advertising.
- Yandex says it now has more than 270,000 advertisers, a 30 percent gain year-over-year and up 10 percent from Q3 of 2013.
- Yandex saw substantial growth in text-based ads on its ad network. That was up 94 percent from Q4 2012, and Yandex attributes the growth to its agreement to power paid search results on Mail.ru. Ad network revenues made up 23 percent of Yandex’s overall revenue during Q4.
- HTC Working On 3 Wearables, Including Google Now Smartwatch & Music-Playing Bangle
- The three devices are said to consist of two smartwatches, one focusing on Google Now’s cards based recommendations feature, and another device based on Qualcomm’s Toq smartwatch, which was really just a hardware showcase for OEMs.
- The third wearable HTC is working on is apparently an “electronic bracelet that plays music”.
- InMobie Report: 60 Percent Of Internet Access Is Mostly Mobile
- In emerging and especially less affluent markets the InMobi report confirms that mobile media time exceeds the PC internet.
- 61% of mobile internet users are on their devices while watching TV.
- 84% of smartphone and tablet owners say they use their devices as second-screens while watching TV at the same time.
- 61% of mobile users are as comfortable with mobile advertising as they are with TV or online advertising.
Thanks for your time! Planning & Strategy Team