Posted by Sarna Goldenberg, Director, Marketing
About the Top 500 Guide:
Internet Retailer publishes its Top 500 Guide annually. The resource for online marketers features strategies for multi-channel retailing and includes profiles and statistics of America’s 500 largest retail Web sites ranked by annual sales. In addition to retail Web site ranking and many associated success metrics, the guide also includes information on top vendors across 16 solutions areas. In the search engine marketing category, Performics ranked as the #1 search engine marketing vendor, used by more retailers in IR’s Top 500 than any other.
Internet Retailer is one of the most respected publications in the industry; this recognition emphasizes our search engine marketing prowess and the success we drive for our clients, many of whom are ranked among the top 500 retailers. Performics is trusted to manage more Top 500 search engine marketing programs than any other vendor.
Highlights from the guide:
· Total E-Retail revenue hit $166 billion in the US in 2007
· Fastest growing categories in 2007 online were jewelry (36%), books/other media (32%), mass merchants/dept. stores (31%) and apparel (24%)
· Slowest growing categories were health and beauty (11%), flowers/gifts (11%), food/drugs (12%), and hardware/home improvement (13%)
· Guide segments online retailers into four categories:
o Retail chains,
o Web only companies,
· Retail chains only managed 18% growth compared to catalogers 30% growth year-over-year