When Performics UK found that TV audiences were moving online faster than the advertising £, they partnered with Tremor Video, Nielsen Research and IAB UK to launch a two-phase, 18 month project to fully measure the value of Video on Demand. Phase 1 centered around the question of the incremental reach Video on Demand (VOD) delivers versus Video on Demand (VOD) across 5 campaigns in Q4 2011. Phase 2 examined how VOD contributed to TV’s brand awareness and message association across one campaign in Sep-Nov 2012 (Aviva). Results were initially presented at the IAB on April 16th concluding that TV and Video on Demand were more than just friends, they were friends with benefits. The summary deck is presented here, along with the summary of findings.
- VOD builds incremental reach vs TV. Across 5 campaigns buying a mix of between 200-600 TVRs and 4-6m VOD impressions across broadcasters, networks, publishers and AOD Video, VOD increased reach by up to 1.33%.
- VOD delivers a unique audience to TV. Between 10-41% of the audience exposed to the ad online, did not see the TV ad (higher % amongst young audiences).
- After 2 months of TV+VOD activity, unaided awareness increased by 6% points (from 33% base awareness to 39%) across Sep-Oct 2012 across TV only and TV+VOD audience. VOD solus activity in Nov saw awareness increase to 41% to those exposed to the VOD ads.
- TV and VOD work in unison to increase message association better than TV alone. Message association base level of 29% increases to 43% with TV. This jumps to 48% when VOD is added to TV. During VOD solus activity in Nov this drops to 32% of those exposed to VOD ads (higher than base level) vs 26% not exposed to VOD.
- VOD Return on Branding Investment is cost effective at delivering TV light viewers. For every pound sterling Aviva spent to increase unaided awareness via TV, it cost only 59 pence to do so with TV and VOD among light TV viewers. For every pound sterling Aviva spent to increase message association via TV, it cost only 64 pence to do so with TV and VOD among light TV viewers.
- VOD, on its own, continues to increase message association after TV activity stops. Message association decreases over an 8-week period after TV ads stop to 3.1% below base level at 26%. But VOD ads keep message association alive, gives cost effective campaign longevity and increases message association to 31% amongst those exposed to VOD ads in November.