Highlighted below are some of this week’s emerging trends and insights. As trends emerge and change, you will see that the topics covered each week may also vary. United States Performics Authored
- Affiliate/Reseller Search Governance: Managing Overlap to Maximize Performance
- Brands that sell through partners quite often compete with their resellers/affiliates in paid search. This competition and leap-frog bidding can raise paid search cost-per-clicks (CPCs).
- To maximize overall performance and keep CPCs and CPAs down, Performics integrates your search and affiliate/reseller programs through a strategy that we call “governance.” Governance is a system of organizing partners and prioritizing goals for maximum gain.
- Performics takes a three-step approach to designing an affiliate/reseller search governance program:
- Develop Rules
- Coordinate Partners
- Track Partners & Enforce Rules
Channel Insights Social
- Twitter’s new ‘related headlines’ feature adds more context to tweets
- On Monday, Twitter announced they now have “related headlines” which feature more context behind a tweet.
- Related headlines can be viewed from the Tweet’s permalink page, lists and links to websites where the Tweet was embedded, making it easier to discover stories that provide more context.
- Pew Research: Oldsters use Pinterest and Instagram more than teens do
- The 18-to-29 demographic is the most social media-saturated age group, with 89% of respondents admitting to some kind of social web use.
- 94% of teens are using Facebook and only 26% said they used Twitter.
- 15% of adults use Pinterest, compared to only 1% of their teen counterparts.
- 13% of adults use Instagram vs. 11% of teens.
- eMarketer: Buying digital video and TV ads together sees considerable interest
- eMarketer expects US digital video ad spend to rise by 41.4% this year and by nearly 40% next year as well, when outlays will reach $5.7 billion.
- Findings from the Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) show that much of that increased digital video spending will come out of former TV budgets.
- 73% of marketers polled worldwide expected to increase spending on pre-roll ads over the next 12 months. Social video ads came in second, at 53% of respondents.
- AdAge: Mobile Fact Pack 2013
- Mobile ads will account for more than 50% of Facebook revenue by year end.
- Half the U.S. population will be carrying smartphones in 2014.
- US mobile ad spending is expected to reach $8 billion by the end of 2013.
- On average, adults spend 141 minutes a day using mobile devices.
- Pew Research Center Report: Teens and Mobile Apps Privacy
- 58% of all teens have downloaded apps to their cell phone or tablet computer.
- 51% of teen apps users have avoided certain apps due to privacy concerns.
- 26% of teen apps users have uninstalled an app because they learned it was collecting personal information that they didn’t wish to share.
- 46% of teen apps users have turned off location tracking features on their cell phone or in an app because they were worried about the privacy of their information.
- comScore: Yahoo beats Google in traffic for first time since 2011
- For the first time in more than two years, Yahoo sites were the most visited in the country in July.
- With 196.6 million visitors to 192.3 million who visited Google properties, Yahoo’s unique visitors were up by roughly 20% compared to July of last year, when it came in third behind Google and Microsoft.
- The revamped Yahoo mail app for tablets help bring a 120% increase in daily active Yahoo mail users.
- Search Engine Land: Google Brings More “Now” To Search With New Quick Answers
- These new search capabilities focus on “travel and logistics” use cases: reservations, flights, package tracking and calendar entries, among a few others.
- Google’s general objective is to make it easy to get information quickly without having to shift through email or drill down into other Google apps.
- The data sources are a blend of personal information from your Google accounts (i.e., Gmail, Calendar) and the web in many instances (e.g., flight or package tracking).
- Google Adds Waze Traffic To Maps App, Search To Waze
- Google announced that real-time Waze traffic updates will appear in the Google Maps app (for iOS, Android).
- Google also said that the Waze app has been updated with a Google search box. And the Waze Map Editor now incorporates Google Street View and satellite imagery.
- Given its value the Waze deal is being given antitrust review by the US Federal Trade Commission. Google announced the more than $1 billion acquisition of the Israeli mapping startup in June.
Industry Insights Retail
- eMarketer Report: The US Retail Industry 2013: Digital Ad Spending Forecast and Key Trends
- The US retail industry’s advertising spending on paid digital media will hit $9.42 billion in 2013 and rise to $13.50 billion by 2017, for a 10.5% compound annual growth rate (CAGR).
- eMarketer also expects the retail industry’s share of the total US digital advertising pie to decline slightly, from 22.3% in 2013 to 22.0% in 2017.
- Retail mobile marketing spending worldwide is expected to almost double to $55 billion by 2015, according to estimates from Juniper Research.
- Performics employees can read the entire report here.
Seasonal Insights Back to School
- NRF: Early Promotions Resonate With Back-To-School Shoppers
- The average family with school-age children in grades K-12 has already completed more than half (52.1%) of its shopping, up from 40.1% the same time last year and the highest percent in the survey’s history.
- College families have completed nearly half of their shopping as well (49.5%). NRF estimates school and college spending will reach $72.5 billion.
- With seven in 10 Americans (76.9%) saying that the economy is still impacting their school and college spending plans, sales and coupons are growing in popularity.
Thanks for your time! Planning & Strategy Team