Posted by Danielle Gantos, Account Manager, Paid Search
Search ads are a proven winner, but how can a company inject them with more life, color, and sound to improve user experience and click-through rates?
Hewlett-Packard’s Personal Systems Group found the solution to that challenge—and remarkable increases in ad performance—in Yahoo!’s Rich Ads in Search feature.
HP sought to increase reach, and brand and product awareness, through enhanced online consumer interactions and ad placement in prominent page locations.
As a strategic digital partner to HP, Performics evaluated a number of cost–effective, innovative methods that would help increase consumer engagement via paid search ads. Yahoo! was identified as the partner–of–choice to help implement solutions that would effectively build on HP PSG’s search program.
Yahoo! began testing a new product, Rich Ads in Search (RAIS), in late 2008. RAIS enables advertisers to add video, images, and custom search boxes to their Sponsored Search ads, resulting in ads that combine the relevance of search with the impact of rich media.
HP, Performics, and Yahoo! formulated a strategy for a one–month beta test of RAIS. The test would build off of the proven paid search model, and add the ability to integrate HP videos, commercials, and other media to the actual text ads. HP was excited about the opportunity to bring a display advertising experience into a traditional, text–based search ad.
After determining the benefits of the test program, the Performics team and HP began a four–step process to take advantage of the RAIS opportunity:
1. Identify HP’s high–volume laptop, computer, and TouchSmart keywords that would benefit the most from rich media.
2. Tailor ad copy and customizable deep links, enabling consumers to select the most relevant link and provide insight into search behavior.
3. Customize an HP logo within the search ad to provide multimedia brand messaging.
4. Select product–specific videos that would stimulate visual and audio interest, while keeping the consumer on the Yahoo! search results page to engage further with the ad.
Via their test of RAIS, HP became one of the first national brands to present consumers with a rich media search experience. The guaranteed top/center positioning strengthened page ownership for HP’s brand, and provided greater control of its brand messaging.
HP realized these documented results during the one–month test:
• A 774% total increase in click–through rates over traditional Search ads.
• A 19%–42% increase in CTR per keyword, exceeding Yahoo!’s benchmark expectations of 15%.
• 662 HP video plays viewed by searchers.
• 46 second average video play duration.
Given the success of the RAIS test, additional HP business units are now expanding their Sponsored Search programs to include Yahoo! RAIS. “We love the integration between Search and Display, as well as the innovative implementation. We are definitely planning to renew our RAIS program, because it was so effective for us,” says Barbara Camozzi, Director of Web Marketing at Hewlett–Packard.
“Rich Ads in Search are a very effective way for us to increase our brand recognition in Yahoo!’s Sponsored Search results”
-Barbara Camozzi, Director of Web Marketing, HP
About Hewlett–Packard: Hewlett–Packard is the world’s largest multi–channel technology solutions provider. Within HP, the Personal Systems Group (PSG) strives to create personalized technology experiences that connect customers to their world simply and effectively.
About Performics: Performics provides search and performance marketing solutions to more than 200 of the world’s top brands. The company uses search marketing to create future–forward media opportunities that are designed to acquire and convert consumers.