Posted by Cristina Lucero & Christina Mannarino, Performics Research & Insights Team
-A completely redesigned Google Search App for Windows 7.5 phones (Google)
- Windows Phone owners can access the Google Search App, available in the Windows Phone Marketplace. Some of the features include:
- Google Autocomplete: As you type in your search, autocomplete offers search predictions that often match your intended search term making search entry easier and faster.
- Voice Search: With the voice feature, you can avoid typing all together. Simply press the microphone and begin speaking your query.
- My Location: With your permission, Google can use your device location to provide nearby results easily and accurately. For instance, a search for “coffee shops” quickly displays the nearest places you can go to for a cup of coffee.
- Read the full Google Blog post
-Facebook Warns Brands that Scale in Social Won't Come For Free (Facebook)
- To reach a sizable share of your fan base, you'll need some paid "stories"
- To encourage paid ads, Facebook unveiled a tool, Reach Generator, that will let marketers buy all the reach they want
- The pitch is that just 16% of fans currently see organic content posted by brands: Most of it is weeded out by Facebook's EdgeRank algorithm, designed to enhance users' experience by putting only the most relevant content in their news feeds.
- Using the paid ad tool could increase a brand's exposure percentage to 75%
- Read the full AdAge article
-Yes, It's Official: Search Engines are the Most Popular Path To Web Sites (MediaPost)
- More participants went to Web sites to make purchases in Q4 2011 than in the fourth quarter of 2010 but many could not complete their task
- Some 34% claimed they could not find the product they were searching for, while 32% said the product wasn't available
- Other significant barriers were unclear pricing and comparisons (at 18%) and a lack of product information (at 7%)
- The share of visitors who came for support declined compared to one year ago, from 11% in Q4 2010 to 7% in Q4 2011
- And the share of visitors who arrived via a search engine rose significantly, from 24% in Q4 2010 to 34% this quarter
- Read the full report
-Future of SEO: Change, Convergence, Collaboration (Search Engine Watch)
- Google has changed the way that people find information in search – Google Search Plus Your World was launched to solve issues regarding trust and authority of content by adding people, pages, and profiles that are all also fully integrated in search results
- SEO now has to be as conversational as it is contextually relevant and building a framework for optimizing conversational type marketing fits neatly into this
- While SEO platforms develop there are also many gaps and opportunities to incorporate social media CRM tools into enterprise SEO platforms
- Manage and nurturing social media relationships with the people ‘behind the links’ presents even more of an opportunity to converge and collaborate on SEO and social media strategies
- Read the full Search Engine Watch article
-Google Developing Voice Assistant (Google)
- A Siri-like voice search experience from Google called “Assistant” is expected to debut sometime this year
- Voice activation supports Google's desktop and mobile search, but it doesn't allow users to follow through with sending text messages, similar to Siri
- The feature will be personalized and make use of Google's data collection regarding how people behave online and will be "less about returning search results and more about accomplishing real-life goals"
- Read the full MediaPost article
-Hispanics More Active on Social Media than Other Ethnicities (Big Insight via eMarketer)
- On an average day, 26.8% of Hispanic Internet users spent six hours or more on social media sites, while 20.4% of black Internet users and only 8.5% of total Internet users spent that much time on social sites
- Looking specifically to which sites social-savvy Hispanics were using, the survey found U.S. Hispanics were willing to participate in some newer and smaller social sites, logging in more often to networks like Pinterest, foursquare and LinkedIn
- As marketers work to reach these active Hispanic Internet users, data about which social sites Hispanics prefer and their frequency of use can be key to understanding where and when to connect with these participants
- Read the full report