Posted by Dan Malachowski, Product Marketing Manager
Knowing your Online Customer
When setting a foundation for your search marketing campaign, there’s nothing more important than understanding your customer. Online retailers need to use consumer research to create more relevant and compelling search experiences for each specific customer segment. It’s critical to track consumer trends to understand how your targeted consumers use search in different stages of the purchase cycle. This results in paid and natural search programs that more efficiently engage and convert qualified consumers.
Performics is dedicated to understanding online consumer attitudes and behavior to help drive performance marketing strategy and results for our clients. As part of this dedication, we’ve commissioned a proprietary monthly consumer research study in partnership with ROI Research. From April to December 2009, we’ll be focusing on how the economic climate is affecting online consumer buying actions and attitudes.
Current Online Buyer Economic Trends
Key April 2009 survey findings include:
· Sixty percent of online buyers say they will spend equal or more money online in the next 60 days versus this same period a year ago
· Two-thirds of consumers say that, while faced with cutting spending in most areas, daily household items remain a purchasing necessity
· Nearly 70 percent of respondents used coupons when making purchases to save money
· More than one-third of respondents say they are more likely to click on banner ads or sponsored search listings while shopping online to find better deals
· Eighty-five percent of respondents say the recession will have a lasting impact on saving and spending habits
· More than one-third of those receiving a tax refund will be applying it to debt
Stay tuned next Tuesday for another weekly dose of search marketing insights for retailers.
More info: Performics Economic Trend Study: April 09